Saturday, July 16, 2011

Going Postal, Zero Drag Queens and a Playdate



















Yyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today.............was..................amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe I almost went to the surf competition at Wrightsville Beach instead. See, people! THIS is why I can't take a single Saturday off! Every so often I consider giving in to the temptation of sleeping in on a Saturday or perhaps letting my hair down on a Friday night but no can do! What if I had missed today? Huh?


So, the first sale on my list I knew was going to be great because I'd been to one of her sales before and it was spectacular. That time (which just so happened to be on my birthday!) I scored a tobacco basket (which I had been looking for for years!) for a mere Abe Lincoln! I also got a bunch of other treasures for a dollar a piece but this sale she asked for the business....and got it. But even if I could part with just one of my finds today, I'd make everything I spent back....and more! But I just don't see any of it leaving mi casa. No. Not lookin' good at all. (Sorry, hubby)


Well, now that I've hyped it up.....bet you're dying to know what I got. Here it goes.....are you ready.........none other than an old post office mail sorter!!!!! Complete with all the codes written on a piece of paper! I know!!! Cool as shit, right?! I also got a vintage washing machine (or at least the best parts of it!). It's so insanely amazing I can't stand it! I'm not sure what it's function will be yet. The lady thought it would be great for parties filled with ice and cold beverages of your choice but I need this sucker on display year round so I'll have to get creative....and a room addition.....but that's beside the point. Ok, I also got a great rustic side table (that I'm seeing painted up on my friend's new back porch). I got a fantabulous old red metal garbage can marked Sanette (where have you been all my life?), a cute picnic style tin in black with a floral print and lastly an old carved bird thing that even as I stand here looking at it, I can't describe it any better but it's fantastic! Seriously. This was one of my favorite stops ever!!!!!! Poor Jane is gonna hate me! Oh! I also got two old porcelain door knobs because I need a change in my bedroom and I'm going with panel drapes now and I'm thinking a bamboo rod with those as finials would just be too cool for school! (I'll let you know how that works out.)


After I left that sale, I literally was in a fog of euphoria. Surprisingly, I was in no great rush to get to the next sale because I knew that even though it was only 6:45 in the morning, my day was complete. Fortunately, I was able to leave La La Land and get back on track. I stopped at the high school where they were having a sale to take the students to Ecuador (please, Lord, let my kids get into the Lyceum program.....please!!!). I got a snazzy Loft sweater and a pretty (already painted and shabby!) frame.


Next up I got a beautiful pair of shoes (which are in Euro sizes so you know they're expensive) and a pair of Roxy flip flops. I normally never find shoes because I'm a size 10 and typically drag queens don't have yard sales so I'm s.o.l. but not not this time. (Incidentally, the lady having this sale was not a drag queen just cursed with Yeti extremities like myself.) I also got a plastic sandwich holder because the kids are starting school next week and hell if I'm always out of sandwich bags!


After that, I went to a couple of sales that weren't the greatest (especially by today's standards). I did get a child's coat rack with a vintage(esque) clown head on the top, a gumball machine (always sell well) and a beautiful old shabby column. I could have driven home after that and been delighted with today's finds but because this was an extra special day, I scored a great wooden step stool in the garbage on the side of the road! Is it Christmas or something?


So, there you have my amazing day. You can't possibly know how much it's killing me not to be playing with my new goodies right now! Where will I start first? Anyone want to come over and play post office with me? After 'work' we can enjoy a few cold ones out of my new super cool wash tub. Today is going to be a great day! Why aren't they all like this? Yard Sale Gods....I owe you one! You giveth me yet another splendid morning in ye Treasure Temple! Amen!

2 comments:

  1. I hate you! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!!!! I cannot believe your luck! The post office boxes are incredible!

    I think I need to start yard saling down there, Sneads Ferry is clearly not cutting it.

    ReplyDelete